A Stitch in Time*

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Adding Garden Elements and Disorganized Floss

I decided that instead of stitching and deciding upon the final house I would instead add some garden elements around this lonely house:

Sampler~ 7th House Finished

For a better look, it's the one in the middle row, on the far right:
House and Garden Sampler WIP

Doesn't it look bare around it?

So I sat down and pulled out lots of books and patterns, and came up with this:

Plan- Sort of

I've added a fence, some flowers, a dog, a cat, and several trees. Most of the elements came from this June's Just Cross Stitch Magazine, but I had to scale it down considerably. I changed the flowers to fit the design, and I also added a few small trees, too.

Here's another view of the entire plan. As you can see I've haphazardly taped together the different large sheets of paper, which is my usual style:
Plan- Sort of

Next comes the hard part. What do I do about thread colors? I tend to only slightly change from the designer's colors, but either way it's hard to find threads in my very disorganized storage of floss. I'm amazed at how organized some people are, and I wish I were one of them. Anyway, I've been collecting these threads for over 25 years so it really gets to be a pain to find colors. Yes, I should get them all neat and perfect, but I just don't want to take the time to do that.

One summer when time was long I even bought those little preprinted labels for my floss cards. I didn't manage to do all my thread, just a small portion. Sadly, today I found that some of the labels CAME OFF of the floss cards so that left me with floss cards without numbers! That's not something any stitcher wants to find, ever.

So I trudged along, looking for colors. I also have a DMC color card that I love and use for each of these 'design' sessions. Here are the threads boxes I had to look through to find the colors I needed:

Embroidery Floss

In the far upper left corner is my Summer Queen box. You can see the box I have for Fruit Bellpull, too, in the front center area, to the left of the baggies. At the right bottom corner is my box for this sampler.

Here it is, up close. I'm sure you'll see I don't have all the threads properly organized. It just takes too much time.

House and Garden Sampler Thread Box

The label is nice, isn't it? My husband bought a much longed for label maker, and he made me up a cool one for the box.

Here's a peek inside the box:

House and Garden Sampler Thread Box

Some of the floss colors are missing. They're resting on my sampler as part of the latest 'floss toss' for the elements I'll be adding soon.

Here is the 'floss toss':
House and Garden Sampler Floss Toss

The blue is for a flower, as are the golden colors. The dog and cat will be brown and almost black, and the fence will be a little darker than off white. The leaves and trees will of course be green.

I'm excited to get started on some elements in this design besides houses.

Thanks for stopping by today, and thanks for all your comments as I continue working on this sampler.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At September 28, 2008 at 7:33 AM , Blogger stitcherw said...

    I love your houses, and the new landscaping you'll be doing looks like it will be lovely. I can't imagine trying to design a piece as large as this and get all the little details, select colors and such. I couldn't see a lot of the pictures in the entry this time for some reason. However, even though they didn't show, the empty squares were clickable, which took me to the pictures. I loved your various floss shots, looking at peoples stash and how they keep it is always fun for me, and floss is so colorful.
    Sue

     
  • At September 28, 2008 at 7:51 AM , Blogger Joy said...

    It all looks pretty organized to me! However, once I get organized, it takes work to stay that way. Once I start to play in my floss, it's all over. The garden elements you penciled out look wonderful ~ can't wait to see them stitched!

     
  • At September 28, 2008 at 3:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your floss may not be all wrapped on bobbins neatly but labelled boxes? Wow, thats impressive. And so much floss!! The garden sketch looks really good too, that piece is going to be amazing when it's done.

     
  • At October 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Windy said...

    when I start stitchin you may have to pass some of that floss in my direction. Wink Wink

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 6:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, hurry up and stitch this! I really like the design for the garden stuff around this house, and I can't wait to see how it comes out.

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are very organized....

    Chudi

     
  • At October 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love the houses,
    You are so organized with your threads,
    You have a wonderful blog,
    Thankyou

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home