A Stitch in Time*

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Book of Cookies~ Now That's My Kind of Book!

Last spring I walked into my workplace's employee lounge and came upon a true treasure. It was a large box of old cookbooks that were published from the forties through about the early seventies. On the side of the box were some letters crudely printed that said, "FREE". Someone must have cleaned out some elderly person's kitchen, and then simply didn't want any of these charming cookbook treasures. I never did find out who brought in the box, but nonetheless I looked through it and found many books to take home. One I snatched up was "Dishes Men Like". Under the title it says, "Easy to prepare, sure to please."
Dishes Men Like
It was published in the fifties, when homemaking and cooking skills were things that were valued far more than they seem to be today. Okay, I'm not saying we should necessarily go back to the fifties, but on the other hand it makes me cringe when I hear grown women with whom I'm acquainted say they don't know how to cook anything at all. Their children seem to be living on fast food and restaurant fare, exclusively. That's a whole different issue, and it's far more controversial than anything I should be talking about on my little stitching and home blog. I consider myself a harmless fluffball, and I need to keep it that way.

I posted a recipe from "Dishes Men Like" back here in April. The recipe was called "Thirty Minute Noodle Goolash", and you can get the recipe if you click on it in the sidebar.

Another book I selected was "Book of Cookies". Here it is:
Book of Cookies

I love the charming vintage title font, and also the cute illustrations that are inside of the book. It was published in 1958 and the recipes are from the editors of Good Housekeeping magazine. Today I wanted to share a recipe from that book, so here you have "Blonde Brownies".

Blond Brownies

2 2/3 cups sifted flour
2 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup butter or margerine
2 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1 cup chopped nuts
1 6-oz pkg. semisweet chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 15 1/2 X 10 1.2 X 1 " pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt. In a large saucepan, melt the butter; stir in brown sugar; cool ten minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in flour mixture, nuts, chocolate pieces until well blended. Spread in pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center springs back lightly when touched. Cool; cut into two inch squares. Makes about 3 dozen.

These are so yummy, and I hope you enjoy them.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wish I had some stitching news to share, but I haven't had a chance to stitch yet this week. Maybe soon!

Thanks for stopping by here.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At September 17, 2008 at 11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I want some orange cookies....

    Uff Da! Talk to you when we get
    home!!

    Your Bro

     
  • At September 17, 2008 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Sue said...

    Thanks, Bro! Those orange cookies are awesome, aren't they?

    I am glad you look at this little blog. Many folks think it's a bit silly to have one---but I guess I get a kick out of it and find it to be a fun way to 'dawdle'.

    Love you,
    Sue

     
  • At September 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think there's something of a resurgence (spelling?) going on in the area of homemade food, so be hopeful after all; it may not be quite the dying art you fear it is! I know I'm trying really hard to cook more at home, and more and more from scratch. I know a lot of people actually that are trying to do that. I find that it's often easier and quicker (if properly planned...) than getting fast food, not to mention cheaper and healthier! It's hard sometimes when you work full-time and are shuttling a kid off to sports, scouts, etc, but I think it's important so we've been making a real effort and it's proving to be doable so far. I'm going to be keeping an eye on your blog for future recipe postings! Quick ones are especially nice, hint hint. ;)

     
  • At September 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM , Blogger Windy said...

    I like your Blondie recipe! Lets get together this holiday season and do a cookie bake off at my house or yours. Love, Schtick

     
  • At September 19, 2008 at 7:46 AM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    What a lovely treasure. I guess if your not into baking or cooking they mean nothing.
    I love all cookbooks and especially the old ones.
    The music on your blog was so nice and so suited.

     
  • At September 19, 2008 at 8:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'd like to see some recipes from the "Dishes Men Like" book!

     
  • At September 20, 2008 at 5:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, how exciting! I love vintage cookbooks. I have some that are so old they list "lard" as an ingredient. LOL

    I have a hate-hate relationship with cooking, but make dinner every night. I agree with you about take out and junk foods. I think kids need to sit down with family and eat real food every day. Oops, now I'm ranting. LOL

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home