A Stitch in Time*

Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Wonderful Apple Torte

Hope you like the new look of the blog. I'm off this week, so after I took my parents home yesterday I've spent far too much time here playing with the colors and pictures!

On Tuesday my niece Windy and her daughter came over in the afternoon. Anyway, my parents stayed here a few days earlier this week, so of course they wanted to see their great-grandaughter Hannah...and her parents, too! My niece's husband joined us too after he worked all day.

I cooked meals both nights my parents were here from an old cookbook published in 1952. It is called Recipes that Men Like and it was published by a worchestershire sauce company. I love vintage cookbooks, and earlier this ysear I grabbed up a bunch of them where I work. Someone was just giving them away, so those of us at my workplace that enjoy cooking and baking grabbed them up in a flash! One of the little booklets I picked up was published back in 1937. Isn't that amazing?

On Monday night I cooked Beef Stroganoff, and it was quite delicious. When my niece and her family joined us on Tuesday I made something called "Noodle Goulash". It was a typical 1950s casserole with beef, noodles, cheese, and tomatoes. Everyone seemed to like it, so we'll make it again!

Now on to the good stuff...my niece brought over a fantastic apple torte she'd baked up the night before. Here is the recipe if you'd like to prepare it. It's one of the best desserts I've ever tasted!

Apple Torte with Crumb Topping

Crumb Topping
1/4 c flour
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Crust
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c butter or margarine, softened
4 tsp water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour

Filling
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 8 oz block fat free crm cheese
1 large egg
4 c diced peeled gala apples (1 1/2 lbs)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 450

To prepare the crust beat the first 4 ingredients with a mixer at med speed until mixed. Add the flour to the sugar mixture and beat at med-low speed until well blended. Press the crust into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan that is well coated with cooking spray.

To prepare filling, beat 1/4 c sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, cream cheese, and egg at low speed until smooth. Pour cream cheese mix into crust. Combine apple, 1/2 c sugar, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon in a bowl. Spread apple mixture evenly over cream cheese.

To prepare crumb topping, combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter with 2 knives until it resembles coarse meal. Cover apples with crumb topping.

Bake 450 for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 400. Do not remove torte from oven. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until lightly browned and just set.


Eddie
Eddie Enjoying the Spring Weather as He Eyes the Torte

I hope you have a wonderful day. Thanks for stopping by here.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At April 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Road Trip With Ruby said...

    Love the new look. How about sharing the goulash recipe? I'm going to try the dessert, for sure.
    Those old cookbooks are the best, aren't they?

     
  • At April 11, 2008 at 2:58 AM , Blogger Yuko said...

    Beautiful dog!
    Thank you so much for your visit to my blog and thanks for the lovely comment!
    I also love your blog, there are plenty of fun stuffs, birds, plants, garden, family love etc... etc... Very very interesting and I felt that you must be a very giving person!

    I would like to have a feeder for birds as we have lots of trees in our garden, but in Japan I have never senn feeder... when I visited to the US, I saw feeder for hummingbird, I should have brought it back to Japan then! :(

     
  • At April 11, 2008 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Joy said...

    Love the new look of your blog! I collect cookbooks in general and have a special fondness for the old ones ~ especially ones with the cook's hand-written notes! Can't wait to try that recipe - thanks for sharing.

     
  • At April 12, 2008 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    I'm SO hungry after reading your post!!!! LOL!

    Your puppy is adorable :o) Is he a rescue?

     
  • At April 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM , Blogger stitcherw said...

    My you've been posting such gorgeous pictures lately. I loved all the ones of your kitties (and Eddie), and your garden and bird ones were amazing as well. Such a beutiful spring feel to them all. Things are starting to get a bit green here now, but no flowers any where in sight yet.

    Your various cooking dishes sounded very yummy. I haven't had stroganoff in ages, and the noodle goulosh sounds a lot like what I used to have when I was younger as well. Then to top it off you post the apple recipe. Just too yummy, I think I need to take a break and go get something to snack on. :)
    Sue

     
  • At April 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Thanks for all your nice words! Stitcher W- I've had more photos lately since I was off work last week, and also my husband has been taking a lot of them now. Thanks for the compliments.

    Sampler Stitcher-I will post that Goulash recipe soon, of course. I also took a photo of that old book's cover to share.

    Yuko- It's amazing you don't see bird feeders in Japan. How interesting!

    Pumpkin- Yes, our dog is a rescue. We've had him now for two years. He only raced 13 times and we got him when he was less than two years old.

    Thanks again for the comments.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home