A Stitch in Time*

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Yard Before and After

I thought it might be fun to share some before and after photos of a small corner of our oddly-shaped backyard. We bought this house almost 18 years ago, and at this point the home is 51 years old. When we bought it the yard was overgrown here and there, and due to many life circumstances it was never quite the yard we wanted. It still needs some work, but it is better than it was!

A few years ago, this is what the corner of our yard looked like. This area is right behind our garage. We sit at the end of a cul-de-sac with a long, narrow backyard. Please brace yourself for this photo, as it looks so trashy and ugly. I'm a bit ashamed I lived in a home where part of the yard looked like this:

 
Posted by Picasa


The first thing we got was a new wall, and some new more 'neutral' awful fiberglass. Our neighbor insisted on the fiberglass, and I have always disliked it. My husband worked hard at clearing out the weeds and he also rototilled the entire area.

 
Posted by Picasa


After this we added our own lattice to cover up the fiberglass. My daughter and I painted the lattice and the nearby fence. Actually, I did most of it. It's when our daughter was in a law enforcement academy, so I got up and started painting the fence at six o'clock in the morning. I did that in honor of her dedication to the academy!
 
Posted by Picasa


Then we added some plantings along the back fence (photina), some climbing roses along the lattice, and a magnolia tree.
 
Posted by Picasa


About a year later our future son-in-law helped us plant sod:

 
Posted by Picasa


Here's a close-up of the climbing roses and crape myrtle we planted almost three years ago. We took this one last summer, and now they're looking almost overgrown:

 
Posted by Picasa


Here's the area and how it looked last summer. It makes me yearn for relaxing summer months when I look at this photo:
 
Posted by Picasa


That's our before and after story of our little corner of the yard. Somedays I feel as if my wheels spin and I get nothing done. Seeing these photos helps me see that we actually do accomplish a few things around here!

I hope your week is going great. Thanks for all your comments and words of encouragement!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At March 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM , Blogger Windy said...

    What about the doughnut recipe? J/k - love the before and after photos - wish i would have taken a before of ours.
    Love,
    Sweet Niece

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 4:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW! What a transformation! It is fantastic.

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Joy said...

    That is truly remarkable. I'm glad you had the foresight to take the 'before' photos! Our landscaping needs a major overhaul and these photos were very encouraging. Your backyard is a beautiful retreat!

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Road Trip With Ruby said...

    What an amazing transformation. Is that a deck I see? We don't have decks here in AZ. It's one of the things I miss from the Midwest. Nice job!

     
  • At March 7, 2008 at 7:27 AM , Blogger Anni Rios said...

    si que fue un gran cambio, y todo quedo muy lindo, se sacaron un diez y supieron aprobechar el espacio, espero tu semana sea exelente.

    If that was a great change, and everything I remain very pretty, ten were extracted and knew aprobechar the space, I wait your week be exelente.

     
  • At March 9, 2008 at 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What an amazing transformation - you have every right to be proud of it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home