A Stitch in Time*

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Chili Time

Two days left, and then I'll have two days off. Hurrah!

I hope your week is going well, and that you're getting in some stitching time. I'm sure not stitching lately at all, but I love browsing on the internet at everyone else's stitching photos. I also love visiting so many non-stitching blogs that are also full of creative ideas, beautiful photos, and thought-provoking ideas.

Last week I made some chili one night for dinner and we really enjoyed it. I decided to (through my niece's request, see below) share the recipe here so that you too might cook some up one evening and enjoy it during these crisp days of winter. (It's crisp where we live, but it perhaps it is literally freezing in your part of the world!)

A-1 Chili Recipe

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 (14 1/2 oz) can tomatoes
1/2 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
1/2 cup water
1 (15-16 oz) can kidney beans, drained

Cook beef, green pepper, onion and garlic in large heavy saucepot over high heat, stirring frequently until beef is browned, about 15 minutes

Stir in chili powder; cook, stirring for 1 minute.

Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid; chop tomatoes. Add tomatoes and liquid, steak sauce, and water to beef mixture; heat to a boil.

Cover; reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes more, serve hot.

Makes 6 servings.

I always serve it with grated sharp cheddar cheese. This chili disappears quickly!

I wanted to also send a special 'hello' to my niece. She actually requested I put the recipe here, as she reads my blog. I think she's the only person in my family who reads it! If anyone else in my family does, they haven't mentioned it to me. My niece doesn't post much here, but she's in the picture below. She was the matron of honor at our daughter's wedding, and I love her very much. She was born to my brother and his wife when I was barely 19, and I took care of her many times when she was little. It's great to be close with her still. She's all grown up, and I am very blessed to have her in my life.

The Bride and Maid of Honor

I hope the rest of your week goes well. Thanks for all your kind comments, and thanks for visiting here.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • At January 10, 2008 at 6:49 AM , Blogger Joy said...

    Chili! And just when I was wondering what to cook for supper! Thanks for the recipe ~ it's "crisp" here, too!

     
  • At January 10, 2008 at 10:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks Auntie! I will send you the recipe for my baked spagetti. It was good. Then maybe you can post that on your blog as well. Thx for the kind words.

     
  • At January 10, 2008 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Maree said...

    The chili sounds good to me, too, except I can't have spicy foods.
    Happy New Year :)

     
  • At January 10, 2008 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Road Trip With Ruby said...

    I enjoy trying new recipes and we love chili at this house. Thanks for sharing. I have a niece that I am very close to also. We are only 9yrs. apart and grew up together. How nice that you are friends as well as relatives.

     
  • At January 12, 2008 at 5:53 AM , Blogger stitcherw said...

    What a lovely picture, and the recipe sounds yummy. Your niece's post regarding a recipe for baked spagetti sounds good too, I love pasta.

    At the moment it isn't to cold here, we're currently in a warming spot, but I'm sure it won't last. Enjoy your two days off, and I hope you're totally over your cold now.

    Herbal Garden in your earlier post is a gorgeous piece. All of hers are so pretty, but the level of detail and all the special beads and such has kept me from being brave enough to try one, I tend to like my projects a little simpler. There are a couple that have tempted me, but I think if I do one I'll start with one of the mini mandela's first to make sure I might actually do (and finish) one (and also have a little less of a cash outlay at first).
    Sue

     
  • At January 12, 2008 at 6:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have never tried A-1 in chili. I think I will. Thanks for the recipe.

     
  • At January 13, 2008 at 3:02 AM , Blogger Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

    Thanks for the recipe - I'll have to try that one next time I'm in the mood to make chili.

    It's "crisp" here too - we're very fortunate at the moment; normally, it would be a "deep freeze"!

    I have only one niece; she's 8 years old!

     
  • At January 13, 2008 at 3:59 PM , Blogger Karin said...

    Your chili recipe looks fantastic - I'll have to try it someday.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home