A Stitch in Time*

Monday, March 10, 2008

Sunset after a Long Weekend and a Recipe for Donut Cake

Sunset

My husband took this photo right after sunset yesterday. You can barely see the moon. These wires are over our neighbor's house, and in the morning when I go to feed the birds I usually see the mourning doves up there waiting for their meal.

The weekend ended happily for me as I was able to email off a 67 page document to my professor! I am not yet done with the project, and I have about 10-15 hours more work to do on it, but I got a large chunk done.

My goal was to work on it for twelve hours over the weekend. Instead I worked on it for 14 hours on Saturday, and about 5 hours yesterday. I am tired from all the concentration, but it's a good sort of tired.

To celebrate all the hard work we went to a late lunch yesterday at a local Mexican restaurant. After that we came home and I relaxed and watched the birds in our backyard. For the first time, I saw a baby sparrow! It sat on a branch of a small plant we have in one of our terra cotta pots. Its chirp was very delightful and sweet.

(The following photos were not taken yesterday, but they represent what I saw as I sat and relaxed...)

The baby bird sat on a branch of the plant that is furthest to the left:

Rose Tree

A lone finch:

Finch Enjoying Lunch

I saw three of these in our yard at the same time a few weeks back:
Western Scrub Jay

Western Scrub Jay in the Yard

This pigeon has been around since I took this, but I haven't seen him on this feeder again:
Band-tailed Pigeon on the Birdfeeder

Here's the right-sized bird for that feeder:

Another Finch on a different feeder

Of course our two cats also enjoyed relaxing with me in the yard, too.

Cats watching the Finch
*************************************************************************************
On a stitching note:


On Saturday morning before I started the project I forced myself to stitch for about 45 minutes. I will take a picture soon!


&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

My niece Windy http://abstinenceinthecountry.blogspot.com/ has requested that I post a recipe for a cake she calls 'donut cake' as it tastes like a donut. Here you are.

Donut Cake (aka Peanut Croquette Cake)


Duncan Hines white cake mix


Prepare cake according to the directions using a 9 X 13 pan.

Frost with white frosting. I make the buttercream recipe on the C and H powdered sugar box.

Grind up 1/2 can of Spanish peanuts, but don't grind them too fine.


After frosting the cooled cake, immediately sprinkle the peanuts on top. Press down so they stick real well.

Enjoy! The salt/sweet thing is very addictive.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for stopping by here, and enjoy your Tuesday!

Stitcher S

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At March 11, 2008 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Mercedes said...

    wow, those pics are great. Love how the birds are in your backyard, lucky girl!!

    Thanks a lot for your comment in my blog

     
  • At March 11, 2008 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Windy said...

    Thx for the cake recipe. What kind of camera do you have where you can get such great bird close-ups?

     
  • At March 11, 2008 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Road Trip With Ruby said...

    Terrific bird photos! What kind of bird is the one with blue feathers? Don't you just love sharing your yard with them?

     
  • At March 12, 2008 at 6:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How gorgeous it is there! We're still buried under the snow drifts.

     
  • At March 14, 2008 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Anni Rios said...

    que bien debes sentirse despues de una dura jornada de trabajo sentarse a admirar los pajaritos que van a comer, seguro tus gatos mas que relajarse estaban pidiendo que uno de los gatitos se desmayara para ellos ir corriendo a darles respiracion de boca a boca jajajajajaja, oye agradece a tu nieto la receta se mira deliciosa, te mando un beso enorme desde Acapulco.

    That well it(he,she) must be sorry after a hard day of work to sit down to admiring the little birds that are going to eat, assurance your cats mas that to relax were asking one of the kitties to faint away for them to be running to giving them breathing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation jajajajajaja, it(he,she) hears the recipe is grateful for delicious gun-sight to your grandson, I order you an enormous kiss from Acapulco.

     
  • At March 14, 2008 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Joy said...

    Your photos are just wonderful. And that Donut Cake sounds deliciously sinful ~ thanks for sharing :~)

     
  • At March 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Thanks for your comments. The blue bird is a Western Scrub Jay.

    I can't believe how blue its wings are.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home