A Stitch in Time*

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wednesday...Already!

It's amazing how fast the week goes when you are off work!

It's been a busy week, and I haven't stitched the entire time. No, wait, I did stitch a bit on Monday evening for about 1/2 hour. I haven't posted a progress picture lately as there really hasn't been much change since last time I posted a picture.

Just as I was going to stitch tonight my professor for that project I'm doing called me, and thus my stitching plans were out the window. I ended up edited that 107 page long project, and reprinting the whole thing. I will be so, so glad when this thing is completely done.

I wanted to share a few more yard photos. First of all, about a week ago I noticed a very odd bird at one of our backyard feeders. I'd never seen one like it before, ever! He looked so different than the usual assortment of sparrows at our feeder, and he was much larger. Yesterday morning he returned, and here is his photo:
Black-headed Grosbeak

Another blurry view, so you can see the pattern on its side:
Black-headed Grosbeak

Through some internet and book 'research' I found out that he's a Black-headed Grosbeak, and he winters in Mexico and returns to this area in the summer. I sure hope I see him again!

Tonight after our overnight company went home we sat outside on our deck and enjoyed some reading while sipping on a cool soda. We were amazed that this brave mourning dove ate within about three feet of our ottomans:
Mourning Dove

My husband went inside to get more soda, and look what showed up on the telephone pole near our back fence:
Acorn Woodpecker
Yes, it's an Acorn Woodpecker! I've heard him in the morning, but I've never before seen his bright red cap. Actually I must say that I've never seen him before at all, I've only heard him.


A few minutes later, we saw this hummingbird enjoying our orange clock vine that's now blooming:
Hummingbird on Clock Vine


Finally, here's a few of our backyard plants that make me smile. I love seeing the yard come alive with color in the spring!

These are the geraniums we planted in pots on Sunday to help celebrate the near completion of that huge school project that's bogging me down:
Geraniums, Etc.

Another view of some of our potted plants from the corner yard:
Backyard Plants

And finally, here's the first lilac bloom on a shrub we planted just over a year ago. It's amazing to see a lilac in our yard, as they're not that common where we live. My husband is from the midwest and grew up with these wonderful purple springtime blossoms:
Lilac

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your comments.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At April 10, 2008 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Joy said...

    More great nature photos! You certainly have a great assortment of birds in your backyard!

     
  • At April 10, 2008 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Windy said...

    thx for the bird update. I too love all the spring blooms. Glad you got a break from work.

     
  • At April 10, 2008 at 6:03 PM , Blogger Road Trip With Ruby said...

    Oh,I am so envious of you! Lilacs are my very, very favorite. It's a midwest thing! Their scent is beyond compare. Fabulous bird photos. How interesting that you take the time to identify them.
    Great post!

     
  • At April 12, 2008 at 6:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love visiting your blog for all of your gorgeous photos of your yard. It's snowing here again today. I have to live vicariously!

     
  • At April 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Thanks for the kind comments!

    Sampler Stitcher- My husband loves lilacs, too. He's from the midwest. I never saw any of them growing up here on the coast.

    It is neat to see so many birds in the yard this year. I guess we take time to identify them because to me it's kind of fun to find out the name!

    Melissa, Sorry about the snow. I can't believe it. Today it was over 90 degrees here.

     
  • At April 14, 2008 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Shalini said...

    Oh I just love your garden. Can I come stay with you :) I'll be over the moon if I get a garden half as pretty as yours!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home