A Stitch in Time*

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Break from the Stitching Blog

I haven't been around much lately, and I finally decided that I should just state exactly why I haven't been around here. Stitching has taken a complete back seat in my life and in my mind. My dad has been in declining health, and is now under Hospice care with Alzheimer's Disease. He went to the hospital one month ago today, and is now in a skilled nursing facility after having returned to the hospital another time in the past month. My mother cared for him as long as she could in their home, and I frankly don't know how she did it for so long. She did a great job, for as long as she could physically handle it.

To say it has been devastating to watch my dad decline in this manner would be a complete understatement. He was a very intelligent man with a gift for words, and he can now hardly respond to simple commands. He usually cannot even form small phrases. He can sometimes give us one word answers, other times he can't answer us at all. These past few days when I was with him it often times seemed he didn't know me at all, although yesterday he did say 'hi' to my brother by name. There are moments that are more lucid than others. Happily though, at times he still shows his sarcastic wit with a wonderfully snide comment here or there.


So for awhile there's a break in reports on stitching. I don't know when I'll return with updates on that, as at this time it's simply not relevant in my life. There hasn't been time to stitch, for one thing. I hope that makes sense, and I am sorry that for today this blog entry is not coming from the 'cheerful' side of life. It is real though, and from the heart.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • At July 23, 2008 at 12:49 AM , Blogger Chiloe said...

    It is very sad ... My grand ma had a stroke and completly lost her memory suddendly on a mother's day. One day she was fine and the next day, she thought her daughter was her mom. That was very sad to watch ...

    Sometimes stitching can help relax and think about something else. That helped me when my then 7 yo son had his cancer and had to stay long hours at the hosptital ...

    ((((((((hugs)))))))))

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 6:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    {{{Sue}}} – I understand taking a break from the stitching, as it is not a high priority in your life; I would encourage you to use this blog to “vent” as much as you want – I can’t begin to imagine what you are going through with your father’s illness. More {{{hugs}}} to you and you family.

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 7:39 AM , Blogger debijeanm said...

    I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. I hope you are able to do something - even if it's not stitching - for yourself from time to time. Best wishes.

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm so sorry. I know how difficult it can be to watch your parent decline. You and your family will be in my prayers.

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Road Trip With Ruby said...

    Hello Sue, how very sad for you and your family. Life can sure switch gears at any moment. I think it takes courage to share your feelings, whether they are sad or not, on your blog. Please know that you are in our thoughts.

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 10:19 PM , Blogger Debi said...

    I'm so sorry about your dad. *hugs*

     
  • At July 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    (((Sue))) I'm very sorry to read what you're going through! When my dad died it was really quick. I didn't see the long decline in health but I can imagine it's just as heart-wrenching, and maybe even moreso. You are in my thoughts and prayers; when you are ready to stitch again I hope it will bring comfort and soothing to you, as it has for me. In the meantime, just know I am thinking of you!

     
  • At July 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Shalini said...

    I'm sorry to hear this, Sue. I hope you continue to stitch as it can be therapeutic.
    {{Hugs}}

     
  • At July 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Windy said...

    So glad you finally gave your readers an insight into what you have been going through. You have been a great support to grandma at this time. love you!
    Windy

     
  • At July 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM , Blogger stitcherw said...

    I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I think Alzheimer's is one of the cruelists diseases. They know they are slipping away and can't do anything, and the family has to deal daily with a loved one who is no longer the same person. I hope you can find a way to get some relief if it isn't through stitching at the moment. {{hugs}}
    Sue

     
  • At August 1, 2008 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Joy said...

    Hi Sue,
    I just got back into the blogosphere and read your post. I, too, am so sorry to hear about your dad. I know that there isn't much anyone can do to ease the pain and sadness of the situation, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home