A Stitch in Time*

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Embroidery Floss That I Adopted

I have not been here in so long! Life has again been just too busy. I haven't stitched much in the last six weeks, either. Haven't had a chance to read many of your blogs. I miss reading them so much. Hopefully things will settle down soon at work, and I will have more free time to spend stitching, reading, and blogging...not to mention all the other things I like to do with free time.

Thanks for all your kind comments about Summer Queen. I really must pull her out soon!

I have a  friend who recently handed me a plastic bag. Here's how it looked:

Embroidery Floss Mess- Thanks, L.

She said, "Thought you might like this embroidery floss." I have only one close friend who stitches, and she hasn't done it in years and years. A few more people I know used to stitch when it was popular in the 80s and 90s, but they've all given it up completely. I brought it home about a week ago, and just for kicks took a few photos of my progress in going through the floss.

Here you are:
Jumbled Embroidery Floss

I found a pair of tiny scissors in the mess. They're marked "Overland Germany". I wonder what the story is behind those scissors?

A Few Skeins of Embroidery Floss Found

Now as I sit here, I wonder if you've ever received leftover stitching supplies in the form of floss..all tangled up? What did you do with it? You may remember that a few months ago another friend gave me an old WIP/UFO that's a stack of teacups stitched on Aida (See the post from March 28, 2010). I haven't done anything with that yet! I really will work on it "someday".

Finally, here is what I ended up with in the end:

Embroidery Floss Yield

I decided that truly I didn't need these 18 skeins of floss, but nonetheless I did add them to my floss boxes. Shame on me, I didn't take the time to wind them around the little cardboard bobbins. Some of the skeins look old in that the labeling looks like the kind from years and years ago. Even though I didn't wind the floss around bobbins I did, however, take the time to pour myself and my husband a glass of merlot. I will enjoy that glass of wine now, knowing that the large tangled mess of floss that remains is in our wastebasket. Yes, I know it could be strewn about the yard and one of our backyard birds could pick it up for its nest. In reality, I've tried that for years and not one bird has ever picked up even a tiny strand of thread. So it's in our wastebasket, for good.

Embroidery Floss Yield and Scissors

Thanks for coming by today! I appreciate your visit here.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At May 25, 2010 at 5:07 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    my mum used to buy floss on fleemarkets .
    but you do get a lot of threads that do no longer match the colours you already have, even if they have the correct number.
    now if I have floss left from a kit, or find it in an oud place, I give it to my mum who uses it to stitch little thing, which do not need the excat numbers.
    but a gift is a gift, and being happy with is is all that matters !
    had a whole lot left over a year ago when I got new thread boxes, what a mess that was !

     
  • At May 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM , Blogger stitcherw said...

    I think you showed a lot of patience sorting out the amount of floss you did from that tangle. As to the birds, I've tried putting out my bits too and they never seem to get used. A lot of us seem to be in a stitching slump for one reason or another right now. Hope things quiet down for you soon.
    Sue

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home