A Stitch in Time*

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Orange Cookie Recipe

Orange Cookies

I posted a few pictures of these Orange Cookies on my previous post. I've finally returned with the recipe.

This recipe comes from Minnesota, and they were lovingly baked by one of my dear aunts for years and years. We always requested 'orange cookies' when we visited her home. She is no longer able to bake, but the rest of us in the family enjoy baking these cookies again and again.

Enjoy! These cookies are so delicious.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Orange Cookies
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup margerine or butter
(you may use 1/2 cup shortening with 1/2 cup butter or margerine if desired)
2 eggs
1Tbsp orange rind
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk (add after eggs)
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, orange rind, and then add the buttermilk.
Add the dry ingredients, mix well. Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookies sheets. (They get a lot larger, so don't make them too large or they'll be huge.)

After they are cool, ice them with this icing:

1 Tbsp orange rind
3 Tbsp butter, softened
3 Tbsp orange juice
3 cups powdered sugar

Makes about 40-45 cookies.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for stopping by here today.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At March 29, 2010 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Tales From My Empty Nest said...

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. These orange cookies sound wonderful. Could you let me know how much orange rind and vanilla to put in the cookies. It mentions it in the directions, but does not have it listed in the ingredients.
    Could you re-check the recipe and see if there are any other additions. Thanks so much. They look delicious and I would love to make them. You can send me a note at:EmptyNestTales@gmail.com
    Love & blessings from NC!

     
  • At March 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    I am so sorry I left out the vanilla and orange rind. Somehow in the editing process I completely messed up the amounts. I will recheck it again now.

     
  • At March 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Tales From My Empty Nest said...

    Thanks for sending me the corrections. I am so excited to make these delicious cookies. They sound so yummy and my daughter loves anything made with orange juice. She is coming home from college on Easter break and I am going to make these to have for her when she gets here. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful recipe. Love & blessings from NC!

     
  • At March 29, 2010 at 11:57 PM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Oh, you're welcome! Your daughter will love them. They are the puffiest cookies, almost like cake. Enjoy!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home