A Stitch in Time*

Monday, August 3, 2009

Lost and Found Stitching

Don't you just love finding a lost treasure? Well, to me it's a treasure although I'm sure to many it wouldn't qualify as such.

When I don't have to trudge off to work every day, I like to spend some time organizing our house a tiny bit. I started the other day in some different rooms, but today I tackled our very old dresser. I've had this dresser for a very long time, so you can imagine how things just kind of find their way in there so easily.

So today I was very happy to find an old finished crosstitched piece in one of the larger drawers. It was tucked away and quite hidden under lots of other old things.

I'd stitched a Frankie Buckley design on the sweatshirt, and it was a design I got from the old "For the Love of Crosstitch" magazine. This was when sweatshirts were popular, and especially ones that were crafted up with some sort of homespun touch. I made it around 1993, I think, for my Mother-in-law. She passed away a long time ago just after I stitched it, and the sweatshirt was passed back to me. I'd hidden it away so carefully that I couldn't even find it! It was my first waste canvas project, and I've done very few since then.

Here are some photos of it:

Sweatshirt - Waste Canvas Crosstitch

Bead and Crosstitch Heart - Waste Canvas

Waste Canvas Work-Sweatshirt

Close-up of Waste Canvas Work on Sweatshirt

Bead and Crosstitch Heart- Waste Canvas

I really don't know what to do with the sweatshirt, so I think I'll tuck it away again for more long term safekeeping. If it fit me, I'd wear it on Valentine's Day. Maybe.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At August 3, 2009 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Glenna said...

    Or cut it out and make a pillow out of it, with some floral fabric on the back. It's too pretty to hide away.

     
  • At August 4, 2009 at 4:24 AM , Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

    Are sweatshirts not popular anymore? I'm so out of style...
    I would wear it, but since you say it doesn't fit you, how about making a pillow like Glenna suggested or perhaps a bag to carry your cross stitch to work from it... :) It is finely done and very pretty!

     
  • At August 4, 2009 at 4:52 AM , Blogger Chiloe said...

    Really pretty. I never stitch on waste canvas but would like to try on a jean's but I'm afraid it will be too hard ...

     
  • At August 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Carmen said...

    is pretty,make a bag is a good idea. is a beauitful design.

     
  • At August 4, 2009 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Tammy T. said...

    Just "Google" what to do with old crafted sweatshirts and I bet you get lots of ideas. Don't stuff it back away out of site. Give your work more credit than that.
    It's lovely and has lots more potential to keep on giving.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home