A Stitch in Time*

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Easy to Prepare...Sure to Please

Dishes Men Like


"Easy to prepare, sure to please." Thus reads the words on the cover of this little cookbook. I've made two dishes from this book so far, and they've both been big hits.

The book was published in 1952. Times sure have changed, haven't they? I made the recipe below last week for seven of us in my extended family and everyone really enjoyed it!

Sampler Stitcher requested that I post this recipe, so here it is:

30 Minute Noodle Goulash

3/4 lb ground beef
1 Tbsp hot fat (I skipped this completely.)
2 small onions, minced
2 cups diced celery
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
Drained, hot cooked noodles (6 ozs dry- I used wide egg noodles.)
2 cups cooked canned tomatoes
3/4 cup shredded cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt (I also skipped this completely.)

Cook meat in fat until browned, add onion, celery, and worcestershire sauce. Gently mix in the noodles and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer 30 minutes or bake in buttered 2-quart casserole in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Enjoy!


I love these tasty casseroles as we ate them a lot when I was a kid. I hope you enjoy this recipe, too.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At April 17, 2008 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Windy said...

    this was some good goulash!

     
  • At April 17, 2008 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Road Trip With Ruby said...

    Thanks so much for sharing. Goulash was a frequent meal for me growing up in the Midwest. I've tried many recipes over the years and could never quite find the perfect one. This one looks like a keeper! I can't wait to make it...soon. I love how you post recipes on your blog. I may have to share a few of my own :)

     
  • At April 18, 2008 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Joy said...

    mmmmmm....goulash! Like you, we had many, many of these dishes when I was growing up. I just love these vintage cookbooks. The goulash sounds divine!

     
  • At April 20, 2008 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Brisa de Amor said...

    Hola!

    Gracias por tu visita a mi blog, y gracias tambien por tu comentario que me permitio venir a conocer el tuyo y ver las hermosas fotos del casamiento de tu hija despues de 1 años de casados ( espero haber entendido el ingles bien... sino disculpas!)

    Espero volver a verte y recibirte con los brazos abiertos!

    millones de besos desde Argentina!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home