A Stitch in Time*

Sunday, October 7, 2007

I've Started My House Sampler

I really shouldn't have started another WIP before finishing a different one, but I couldn't resist!

Yesterday I bought my fabric, and this past week I've been madly plotting out various houses onto graph paper. I've also looked through every issue I have of the old CS and CC magazines, and I've found some great stuff that I can use for this sampler.

Here's another book that I'm using. I'm actually using the house on the cover's sampler, and many of the motifs inside of it. My son bought it for me for my birthday, in fact. It's written by Jane Greenoff.

Posted by Picasa


Here's a photo of my graph paper scratchings. It's very messy and rather random looking, which is just my style of doing something like this. It's also inaccurate at this point as I've lengthened the individual areas for each house from 60 stitches to 80 stitches. (The width was already at 80 squares.) So the center house is actually going to be stitched further down and to the right from how this paper shows it to be.

Posted by Picasa


In the middle of my sampler is a design from an old CS and CC magazine. I'm going to use the two homes, the tree, the birds, and the flowers below the houses. Here's a photo of the finished design as shown in the magazine. Excuse my terrible flash reflections, please!

Posted by Picasa


I had quite a time finding the right colors to use. I couldn't use the ones called for in the original design as the fabric I chose is too dark for them. I spent a lot of time this morning looking at my DMC color card, and going through my boxes and boxes of floss. I wish they were organized better, but what can I say? The DMC color card helped immensely in that I could find colors in the same color family as in the original design.

I managed to start my project, and just did a few stitches on it. I did a bit of the center branches between the two houses as that's the center of the entire design.
Here's my small start along with the floss colors I will use for the tree, flowers, and birds.

Posted by Picasa


I still have to choose colors for the houses as I'm not sure the suggested ones will work with this fabric color. We'll just have to wait and see! For now, it sure is fun to plot out this project and see where it goes. I may end up changing it completely in the end. My way of viewing it is a "planned chaos" sort of way.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At October 7, 2007 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

    It sounds like you are off to a great start!

     
  • At October 18, 2007 at 11:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I so know what you mean about starting a new project before finishing another.
    I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today. I haven't crosstitched in so long and have so many unfinished things to complete. Maybe you can be my inspiration to start them up again. By the way, that sampler you did of the bird and houses is one that I have done parts of myself. I have the same magazine probobly cause it's an older one.
    Anyway, i'll be back here when I have the time. Take care,
    Salina

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home