A Stitch in Time*

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Bit of Heritage

Work has been busy, and my classroom is just about ready! Phew. I brought a huge stack of stuff to work on at home, but for now I wanted to come here and share some photos with you.

I've slowly been trying to collect little pieces that reflect my Norwegian ancestry. My husband is also half Norwegian. I wanted to share some photos of pieces that were given to us or purchased by me the past few years.

While reading various blogs, I was thrilled to come upon some photos of rosemaling in Ele's beautiful blog:http://abitofpinkheaven.blogspot.com/ Rosemaling is a type of tole painting that originated in Norway.

Here's a napkin holder that's rosemaled. I bought it last year at an antique store in West Central Minnesota.





Here are two plates that I bought last summer. The red one was purchased brand new in a Norwegian store in Minnesota, and I bought the tan one at an antique store.





The needlework that originated in Norway is Hardanger embroidery. It's done on 22 count fabric, and I personally haven't ever tried it. I guess that's on my 'to do' list! Here's a Hardanger cross that a dear friend gave me. She's in her eighties, and she just learned how to do Hardanger a few years ago.




Another Norwegian type of item that I like are little dishes with Hardanger designs pressed onto them. In this craft, the person who makes them presses finished Hardanger pieces into clay and forms a Hardanger type design. A relative of mine collects them and uses them in her bedroom and guest rooms as little catch-alls for jewelry and other small items. Here's a dish my aunt gave me last summer:




Here's a view of several of our Norway pieces together. They're all sitting on top of a beautiful Hardanger piece that my late mother had someone stitch for me. My mother-in-law always appreciated my love of needlework! The photo also shows some pretty salt and pepper shakers that have blue rosemaling designs handpainted on them. You can also see a rosemaled plate that I bought over twenty years ago, as well as another small ceramic dish with Hardanger pressed onto it.






Finally, here's a view of all the Norway items arranged in our family room corner. It looks like I need to put a plant there, too, to warm it up a bit. I also wanted to crosstitch a Norwegian bellpull, but that's also in my 'to do' list.



Do you collect any items that reflect your heritage? I'm not much of a collector at all, but finding these Norwegian items has been fun.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • At August 29, 2007 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

    Thanks for listing your rosemalled items on your blog. Hardanger is beautiful and is so intricate. I wish I had some! We have a Scandinavian festival here called Norsk Hostefest (Minot ND). Google it sometime!

     
  • At August 30, 2007 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Shalini said...

    Love everything you've shown.
    I have many pieces I've gotten from India over the years, mostly wood work though. No needlework unfortunately. I'll take pictures of those and share as well :)

     
  • At September 2, 2007 at 12:18 AM , Blogger Anne Marie said...

    How fun to "find" your norwegian corner with rosemaling and hardanger søm across the other side of the Atlantic. Do your husband or you also speak norwegian?

     
  • At September 2, 2007 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Thanks for your comments!

    To "Life in Yonder" ~ I'm glad you liked seeing our Norwegian corner. My grandpa came here from Oslo in 1902 and my husband's family came over before that. My grandma's family came here also in the 1800's and they were from Alesund.

    No, we don't speak Norwegian although my grandparents of course did, as did a few of my aunts. My grandma taught me "Er matten ferdig?"(I know the spelling is wrong.) and other words surrounding food and meals. We do say "uffda', "ishta", and "fi" a lot in our family, and I thought those words were English when I was a kid.

     
  • At September 2, 2007 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Ele,
    Someday my husband and I will have to visit Norsk Hostefest. I bet it's a blast.

    Thanks for the idea!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home