A Stitch in Time*

Monday, February 9, 2009

An Update on the House and Garden Sampler

I finally had the chance to stitch a bit this past weekend, and here is a photo of the finished apple tree:
 
Posted by Picasa


I used a blended needle for the greens of the tree, and for the apples I used a variegated thread where I used two threads that started at the opposite end of that particular variegated thread's color.

After I finished the tree last night, I had to decide what to add next to the sampler. I decided upon a pattern from this book by Jane Greenoff~

 
Posted by Picasa


I have always loved the look of Berlin work, so I chose a poppy motif from this pattern~
 
Posted by Picasa


I decided to place it in the lower right corner, just as it is in the pattern.

While I was out today, I decided to purchase a magnifier for my Ott Lite. I am not sure if I like using it or not. Do any of you have any sort of recommendation for lighting? I always said that I would quit stitching when I required special equipment just to see the work. Well that was said when I was 20, so of course I knew nothing about how my love of stitching would grow throughout my lifetime.

Here's the work through the new magnifier~

 
Posted by Picasa


Here's a photo of the work I've added in the lower right hand corner, as well as a photo of the whole piece so far:

 
Posted by Picasa



 
Posted by Picasa


The weather was cold and rainy today, which to me makes it ideal stitching weather. On top of that, I had the day off. It was great to stitch, sip some coffee, and relax a little bit.

Thanks for stopping by today, and please let me know what you do to handle seeing the work well enough when you stitch.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • At February 10, 2009 at 4:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow! You've really made great progress on your neighborhood! It's looking very nice with the additional landscaping and other accents. Thanks for the update.

     
  • At February 10, 2009 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Carmen said...

    is a great progress, the magnifier look great, i ned one, mi eyes suffer a lot with 1x1 stitch.

     
  • At February 11, 2009 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Hi,

    I just found your blog and you have done some great work already! I will come back to visit your blog again.

    Wendy from Belgium.

     
  • At February 13, 2009 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Windy said...

    I like your magnifier! It looks cool! Get some res,t I know you have been busy.
    love,
    Schtick

     
  • At February 14, 2009 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Shalini said...

    Your sampler is looking great! I love the peacock.

     
  • At February 15, 2009 at 6:48 AM , Blogger debijeanm said...

    Wow, adding the flowers and trees is really bringing your already beautiful sampler to life.

    For light, I bought an inexpensive 3-way,floor stand lamp with a swivel arm. I use one of the "full spectrum" lightbulbs. When I stitch I can crank that bulb up to 150 watts and swing it over my left shoulder. Works great. I also use a clamp on magnifier that I bought at Shepherds Bush. You have to use the q-snap type pvc bars, but it's a great magnifier. I don't know how I stitched - even with young eyes - without it.


    http://www.shepherdsbush.com/

     
  • At February 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM , Blogger stitcherw said...

    It's looking so pretty, the varigated flosses are great for trees and such. For help with stitching I make sure my ott light is bent so I get a lot of light on my fabric. Also, I wear magnifying glasses. I have contacts, so can wear magnifying glasses without a problem. My friend has the mag eyes she uses as she wears glasses and the mag eyes will work over glasses. On smaller count fabric, I have a clip on magnifier, so I'll have my light, my contacts, my magnifying glasses, and then the clip on. Different combinations work better than others for people, you just need to do some trying to see what works best for you. Good luck.
    Sue

     
  • At February 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your sampler is really a lovely creation! I shall have to keep an eye on it! I have a Dazor lamp for stitching. Sometimes I don't use the magnifier, just the lamp. I couldn't stitch one over one without it. With it, I think I will be stitching until I'm 102!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home